POSITION DESCRIPTION: Finance and Operations Manager
- Part time (30 hrs per week)
- Attractive not-for-profit salary packaging options
- Home Based
- Work in the Music Industry!
Established in 1997 by the Australian music industry, Support Act delivers crisis relief services to artists and music workers. We offer three services:
- Crisis relief
We help artists, roadies and music workers facing hardship due to illness, mental health problems, injury or some other crisis, to get back on their feet when they have hit a tough patch or just need breathing space. The casework can be diverse, ranging from assisting with daily living costs to bringing comfort and dignity to people in the final stages of life. In delivering a package of help, each case is treated individually, with an emphasis on tailoring a solution to meet each person’s particular circumstances.
- Help a Mate
We support friends and family seeking to raise funds for an artist, roadie or music worker in crisis. Help a Mate events typically involve a benefit concert and/or online appeal. Support Act provides promotional opportunities, administrative support and financial acquittal of the funds raised.
- Wellbeing Helpline
Our new flagship service offers 24/7 professionally staffed telephone counseling to people in music with concerns about their mental health and wellbeing.
There is no other charity in Australia doing this work. Support Act is enjoying an increasing profile within the music community and our services are in more demand than ever.
Support Act raises funds in a variety of ways, including regular appeals, sponsorship programs, soliciting donations from music businesses and organising our flagship annual fundraising events, Music in the House and AusMusic T-Shirt Day. We also support fundraising initiatives in the community proposed by voluntary groups, music businesses and individuals wishing to raise money for Support Act.
Support Act is experiencing a period of rapid growth and has secured funding for a number of new initiatives, including the Wellbeing Helpline. It is a very exciting time to join the organisation.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for the overall management of Support Act’s financial function including long and short term financial planning, financial risk management, effective cash flow management, monitoring financial performance, creating timely periodical financial reports for the CEO, Board and Social Work team, overseeing the day to day financial operations, preparing budgets and forecasts, managing the audit process and ensuring compliance with regulatory reporting and accountability requirements of funding bodies.
The position is also responsible for managing the organisation’s payroll and HR functions; and provides Governance support to the Board. It is offered for 30 hours per week, to be worked flexibly from home and offers attractive not-for-profit salary packaging options.
- Responsibility for the end-to-end financial functions for Support Act
- Supporting CEO and providing input into strategic planning
- Performing all month-end activities including: bank reconciliations, balance sheet and profit and loss reconciliations, bank vs database reconciliations, review accounts payable and receivable, reconcile all expense claim forms, reconcile employee liabilities, review fixed assets register, reconcile Help-a-Mate liabilities and reconcile service user grants
- Manage and verify monthly payroll function
- Management of the annual budgeting process for presentation to the board
- Manage cash position and term deposits held, cash flow forecasting
- Prepare year end statutory accounts; manage the annual audit process
- Meet all external reporting requirements (FBT, BAS, ATO, ACNC etc) and ensure compliance with Australian Accounting Standards
- Invoicing of corporate sponsorships or donations and monitoring of invoicing of promised amounts in according to agreed schedules
- Review of Help-a-Mate income and payments to beneficiaries
- Managing the acquittal of Support Act’s financial relief payments for the benefit of service users
- Develop and maintain appropriate financial procedures and work with all staff to ensure compliance and foster information exchange.
- Promote a service environment and friendly ambiance to internal and external clients
Board of Directors
- Attend board meetings & report on finances
- Take minutes at board meetings & circulate for approval
- Maintain actions register in collaboration with CEO
- Coordinate board papers & prepare for CEO input
- Establishment of Audit Risk Committee. Develop & report on a risk register.
- Be responsible for preparing AGM papers & coordinating elections etc
- Become fluent with the Articles of Association and their interpretation/application
Management of HR policy & process
- Coordinate leave requests and submit to CEO for approval
- Manage leave records & report to CEO on these
- Coordinate expenses claims & prepare for CEO sign off
- Develop new/updated policies
- Develop new employment contracts for CEO sign off
Management of Admin Assistant
- Admin assistant provides support for Finance and Ops manager as directed
- Review of admin assistant duties including Banking, online payments and tax receipts, Annual Charity licences, and Help-a-Mate acquittal
- Holiday cover for Admin assistant
Other duties as directed.
Essential Selection Criteria
- CPA/CA or tertiary level qualification in Accounting and Finance
- Proven experience in preparation of financial reports and statements and providing financial insights and analysis that led to higher financial performance, accountability, transparency and robust decision making
- Demonstrated ability to develop budget forecasts, service cost modelling and conduct periodic reviews in a multi program and multi-site operation
- Demonstrated ability in reporting to statutory and funding bodies in accordance with their accountability requirements
- Highly experienced in coordinating external audit process and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Experienced in implementing financial policies and procedures including systematic financial control and risk management procedures
- Advanced Excel skills and knowledge of Accounting and Finance software packages (MYOB)
- Excellent attention to detail including the ability to meet deadlines under pressure while ensuring accuracy and quality
- High level of managerial and interpersonal communication skills
- A genuine commitment to helping artists, roadies and music workers in crisis
- Good self-discipline and ability to work independently from home
- Demonstrable emotional intelligence, empathy and strong interpersonal skills
- A commitment to ethical working practices, including confidentiality
- Reliable and hardworking, with high levels of enthusiasm and energy
- Ability to work constructively and collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills and proactive approach
- Preparedness to work extended hours on a needs basis